Monday, November 19, 2007

Mercedes info - SLK

Here is what I read on the forum Edmunds Car Space

Meaning Mercedes With the search this discussion not working on my
side for some reason, I've read through about 75% of the thread and Mercedes
hasn't really been discussed too often. From what I know so far, the main hassle
with Mercedes is having to go to an authorized dealer to get the modifications
done. (As per Mercedes Canada and MB Dealership in Vancouver Canada) Personally,
I'm willing to go throught that to get the car. From what I know so far,
this would be the typical process: (Note, these steps are what the MB dealership
recommended to me, very generic)

-Find the car I want, send the VIN# to
the MB Canada to determine if the car is allowed in Canada

-If the car is
allowed in Canada, give the VIN# to the local dealership and they will give me
an estimate on the total cost of modifications for a fee of $250.

-Buy the car,
get the USA recall letter clearing it. -Do all the paperwork at the border, pay
Taxes/duties/RIV

-Bring the car to the local MB dealership to get the
modifications done

-Get the letter from MB Canada(or was it the MB
dealership..?) saying the car is Canadian approved.

-Go to Canadian Tire for Federal Inspection -Submit documents to RIV Now, please don't flame me if
I have this wrong but this is what the service manager told me, and it does seem
close to the typical way of importing a car. My question is, has anyone
successfully imported a Mercedes Benz from the states? I'm looking into getting
a 2004-2005 CLK320 or 500, and I wanting to hear other experiences with getting
it into the country. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also another post:

I purchased a 2006 SLK 280 that had been brought in. The procedure you outline is accurate, but MB Canada never charged $250 for an estimate of the work..what a bunch of crap that is. The modificaions were in the $7000 range though.


No comments: